I just stood their speechless and motionless as I watched the milk spread across my garage floor. I couldn't even think of anything to say (which was probably a good thing, because I'm sure it wouldn't have been very kind). I could either laugh, cry, or scream at this moment because of all that had come before. I chose to laugh, because anything other then laughter would be to much of a chore! I went in and looked at the clock and realized, it's only 3:30! What will happen next?
For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10
Has anyone else had a day like this?
Today started out as any other Thursday. A 2:30am feeding for Madelyn- who has quit sleeping through the night- and then spending 20 minutes trying to get the goo out of her poor little baby nose. Waking up to a screaming Madelyn who was starving at 7:40. This event has thrown off my day. My alarm usually goes off at 7:40, so I can throw some clothes on, get A dressed, load up the kids and take him to school. Well, I had to feed M so I didn't get A up until about 8:15. He actually woke up on his own, so I thought that it wouldn't be a battle to get him ready. Wrong! He didn't want to get dressed, he wanted to build with his Sesame Street blocks. I bribed him every step of the way with phrases like, "If you put your jeans on, I'll build Elmo for you." So 30 minutes later, he was dressed and throwing a fit, because I was not going to put Ernie back together. I picked up my kicking and screaming child and put him in the car, went in to grab Madelyn and put her in the car, sat down in the driver's seat and hear "I want sausage, Mommy." So I went in, made A some sausage and poured him some orange juice (all this entails is me putting some little smokies in a bowl, heating them for 20 seconds and handing them to him in his carseat- and yes, I am the only mother who sends her child to school an hour late with their breakast). I got him out of the car and carried him to the covered porch since it was raining, then got M out. I dropped him off and visited with the sweet little toddlers who came out to greet us. I talked to the women from the church who were going to Bible study (I should be going, but opted out of this session). I finally got in my car and headed home around 9:30. I got home and fiddled around on the computer (another bad choice), did my workout, got my shower, and made my grocery list- because today is wal-mart day! M woke up and I fed her and we got in the car. I realized it was already 12:50 and I had to pick A up at 2:00 (and I am ALWAYS late for that). We got to wal-mart and there were no parking spots close to the door or the carts, because those are the best spots. Finally, I found a spot! After I waited (and waited and waited) for the women in the spot next to it to get in her car- she was standing in my empty spot and looking at me waiting (with a smile on my face). M and I made our way in and I put her in the cart. I looked at my phone and realized we had 50 minutes to get everything on my list (I make a list for two weeks at a time, so I only have to make two big trips a month). So we got to work. Well, I quickly got side tracked by the Valentine aisles. I forgot that it was next weekend and no one had cards or gifts. This occupied 20 minutes of my time, so then I only had 20 minutes left to get all the other items on my list- all the food, diapers, etc... Well, it seemed like every grandmotherly lady was in wal-mart today and wanted to look at M. I didn't want to be rude to anyone, so I let them look and ohh and ahh about how precious she is (which is totally true!). I looked at the clock and it was 1:50 and I didn't have any meat or veggies. I get most of my meats at the neighborhood market (because it's better) so I just decided to get the veggies there too. We checked out and loaded up the car. Got to A's school only 5 minutes late! Well, everyday after school the teachers have to vacuum and mop their classrooms. You can imagine how enticing this is for my cleaning loving boy. After getting him away from the vacuum and mop, we head for the door. "I want down (which means up) Mommy" he screams at me. So, I pick up A in the left arm and M in her carseat on the right and stumble to the car praying that I don't keel over and die! I get M in the car and A goes to the driver door and says "I drive car, Mommy." I am explaing why he cannot drive the car as he is kicking and screaming while I try to get him in his carseat. I have to practically sit on him to get him buckled, which he immediatly gets out of as we exit the parking lot. Oh yeah, we have to go back to wal-mart to get meats and veggies. So, we get out at the neighborhood market and A starts screaming through the parking lot "I want down, Mommy" (again, down means up) repeatedly as all the women loading their cars are looking at me. I try to explain to him, in my nicest voice, that I cannot carry both him and Madelyn, as my arms were still burning from the trip to the car earlier. We get to the carts and I pick him up to put him in and the kicking and screaming start. I let him walk- huge mistake. He helps me put the veggies into their bags- after pulling a whole roll of plastic bags off the roller. Then, he helps me push the cart. He wants to run while pushing and poor Madelyn is rocking back and forth in her carseat. He spots the Valentine cookies and screams "I want cookies". Not willing to fight this battle, I give him the cookies, which he proudly carries over to the meat counter. I order the meat, while saying "Andrew, be careful with the cookies." "Hold the cookies gently Andrew. I would like three pork chops." Then I hear, "uh-oh". The cookies had spilt and Valentine sprinkles were all over the floor. "Vacuum, Mommy." He says. I salvage what's left of the cookies and give the dirty ones to the meat guy. He looks at me like I am an idiot for letting him hold the cookies in the first place (I would agree with him). We move on and Andrew is holding his hand out running it across everything on the aisles- knocking off select items as we go. We're almost done and I am breathing a sigh of relief as Madelyn starts screaming. Oh yeah, time for her to eat! Andrew finds a package of goldfish and I let him have that (I am pretty sure he can't get it open!) and we go to checkout. I set the goldfish on the convayer and the tears and screams and stomping start. Once again, all eyes on the unfit mother on aisle 5. The checker (who's sister works for Jason, of course) gives Andrew the bag of goldfish and we pay and make our way to the car. I am pretty sure Andrew is no banned from the neighborhood market. If not by the management, then for sure by me! Thankfully, God smiled upon me and Andrew passed out in the car! I got Madelyn fed and went to unload the groceries. I was almost done and then the bag breaks with the milk and this is what happens...

I just stood their speechless and motionless as I watched the milk spread across my garage floor. I couldn't even think of anything to say (which was probably a good thing, because I'm sure it wouldn't have been very kind). I could either laugh, cry, or scream at this moment because of all that had come before. I chose to laugh, because anything other then laughter would be to much of a chore! I went in and looked at the clock and realized, it's only 3:30! What will happen next?
I just stood their speechless and motionless as I watched the milk spread across my garage floor. I couldn't even think of anything to say (which was probably a good thing, because I'm sure it wouldn't have been very kind). I could either laugh, cry, or scream at this moment because of all that had come before. I chose to laugh, because anything other then laughter would be to much of a chore! I went in and looked at the clock and realized, it's only 3:30! What will happen next?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh Amy!!!! Man have I been there? Yep! Motherhood is so glamourous. Wait til M weighs 20 lbs and it's raining and the carts are all in OK or wet.... You know the rest. LOL. We're gonna miss these days very soon. Xoxo.
What a day!! And great writing, I felt like I was there. Hoping it got better?
Post a Comment