Andrew has had what I have decided to call the Neverending Ear Infection. He has had this ear infection since early October in both ears. The problem is, you would never know that he has an ear infection because he never acts like his ears bother him. So I took him in October for congestion and we discovered this problem. It wouldn't have been a big deal, except that we have had other ear infections- I think about three. So, the Dr. put him on amoxicillan for 12 days- which Andrew thinks tastes great, so no problem there- then we went back and it still wasn't cleared up. That time we tried Omniceph (I can't spell these meds. I just do it how it sounds). It didn't work, so we went for the "power drug" Augmentin. Now, I had previously taken that for a horrible sinus infection and it made me SICK- like, miss a day of work sick! Apparently, if you take it with Activia yogurt it doesn't make you sick at all- so Andrew now loves Activia. You would think that the third time is a charm, but you'd be wrong. We went back on Thursday and they were better, but not where they should be so he got a 500 mg (HUGE) shot of Rocephin. He had to go back this morning and get another one, then Monday for his third and final dose. If this doesn't work, we'll be on antibiotics for about a month and then probably on to tubes. I'm not scared of the tubes, but I really would rather not have it done if we can help it. The main reason is that he cannot get water in his ears and if you've ever been around for bathtime, you know that is almost impossible! I'm sure we could get some good ear plugs, but who wants to put ear plugs in their one year old's ears? The sad thing is that the Dr. said he is probably hearing somewhere between 20-40 decibels lower then we are and the fluid could be affecting his balance, which makes since, because right before the infection started he was taking steps like crazy and now, he's not. Or, this could be because he's stubborn- who knows? The good thing is that Andrew feels great and we are still having lots of fun! We went to the square tonight to look at the lights. Andrew really enjoyed it! He especially liked the camels and the ponies. I took more pictures, but they our for our Christmas card, so you'll just have to wait!
2 comments:
He is adorable....we went thru the same thing with Will when he was a baby....Aughhh..those ears were never without infection.
don't worry, michael and i were both the WORST ear infection kids ever.....constantly had a bottle of the pink bubblegum medicine in the fridge. we both had tubes several times and eventually grew out of it. at least he's not screaming because i remember being in alot of pain as a kid.........
Post a Comment